- Deputy World Editor (June 2014 – present): In charge of making decisions on world coverage including assigning stories to freelancers around the globe as well as reporters based in McLean or Washington D.C.; worked directly with World Editor; edited and posted stories; monitored wires; wrote headlines for a mobile audience; optimized stories for digital viewers; pitched stories as well as making decisions on news reporters wanted to cover; kept weekend digital editor duties.
- Weekend Digital Editor (June 2013 – June 2014): In charge of breaking news on weekends; edited and posted stories from reporters and freelances around the nation and world; helped oversee front page of usatoday.com, as well as mobile and tablet platforms; assigned stories to multiple reporters; worked with multiple editors in newsroom; wrote headlines with SEO in mind; optimized stories for digital users; sent breaking news alerts; analyzed metrics to determine what stories were gaining traction; monitored stories trending across the Web to determine where to focus efforts.
- Assistant Homefront Editor (December 2010 – June 2013): Used news judgment to choose content for the front page of usatoday.com; analyzed metrics to determine what stories were gaining traction with readers; edited, posted and updated USA TODAY and wire stories online; prepared stories for print; programmed mobile and tablet products; wrote stories for breaking news events and other news coverage; created online graphics, including timelines to go with selected obits, and before-and-after photo slides; added photos, galleries, links and interactives to stories; wrote headlines and cutlines; sent out breaking news alerts.
The News Leader
June 2009 – December 2010
- Copy Editor/Page Designer: Designed pages and edited stories for The News Leader, a 20,000 circulation, Gannett-owned daily newspaper in Staunton, Va.; wrote headlines and cutlines; designed and edited weekly feature sections including those for entertainment, home and real estate and lifestyles; edited online versions of the stories; created graphics such as bar graphs and pie charts for some stories.
October 2009-December 2010
- Correspondent: Produced six to eight bylined stories each year for the nation’s highest circulation daily newspaper; provided feeds from Virginia for other reporters’ stories; sent weekly e-mail with news tips, trends and story pitches; alerted USA Today to breaking news in Virginia.
May 2008-August 2008
- News Intern: Produced stories on national topics and trends; conducted research on trends; provided feeds to other reporters on a number of states; compiled and edited an ‘Across the USA’ chart for a special charity section; compiled a state-by-state look at bridge conditions a year after the Minneapolis bridge collapse; remained on the correspondents’ staff as a freelancer during the school year.
The Daily Collegian
September 2006–May 2008 (The Daily Collegian)
- Copy Editor: Edited articles for style, grammar and content for a 20,000 circulation daily newspaper covering the Penn State community; fact checked all daily and special section stories; designed inside pages; wrote headlines and cutlines; published articles online.
- Reporter: Wrote in-depth features and breaking news stories; interviewed prominent newsmakers including Valerie Plame Wilson and then-Sen. Barack Obama; localized national as well as state stories and trends.
- Editorial Intern: Generated feature ideas; edited text; researched topics of interest to the 50-plus demographic; helped set up video interviews; pitched stories.
The Pennsylvania State University: Bachelor of Arts in Journalism; Minors in Animal Science and Equine Science; Graduated May 2009
Proficient in HTML, SEO, Photoshop, Social Media, Final Cut Express and Quark.
- Recipient of USA Today’s Hainer Award, which recognizes the paper’s best work each day, for a state-by-state bridge chart; honorable mention for two articles in one publication.
- 2009 Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s Gold Circle Awards, second place for personality profile for “Valerie Plame talks of future” feature published in February 2008.
- Society of Professional Journalists 2009 Region I Mark of Excellence, third place for feature photography.